World Animal Day is an awareness day recognized all over the world. Started in 1931 to bring awareness to endangered/threatened species. October 4th was chosen as the day of awareness because it is also the Feast Day of St. Francis of Assisi the patron saint of animals.
What is the point of this day? I'm just going to touch on a few points.
- Like the origin of the day, to keep endangered species from becoming extinct. For example, the polar bears in the Arctic. They are losing precious hunting ground because of rapidly melting ice. Less food, means more starvation. Less food also means less cubs are born every year because the mothers do not have enough energy and body fat to sustain pregnancy and feed the offspring that they do have.
- Over fishing, around the world. Our supplies will run out. There is not an unending supply of aquatic life. I always say, just because you can eat it, doesn't mean that you should. That goes for any food source.
- Using only part of an animal, like the shark fin and then throwing the still living animal back into the water. That's sick. I eat animals but I feel that you should kill the animal quickly and humanly before you start cutting into it or cooking it. (Just thinking about it makes me want to go veggie again, yuk).
- Even animals that are going to be consumed should be treated with some kind of respect and dignity. Meaning good, healthy food/water for the animals to consume. Protection from the elements. Clean housing conditions. Not being hurt, tortured or frightened etc.
- Keeping our domestic animals safe. If you see an animal being abused or you suspect abuse, tell some kind of authority about it. Every jurisdiction is different when it comes to handling cases, but having it documented is better than doing nothing. Of course this goes for undomesticated animals as well. Sometimes I think that domesticated animals conditions can be even worse. They are kept behind closed doors for the most part. A lot of people feel that the pets are their property and that they can do what they please with them. Ethically that doesn't sit well with me.
(Quick note: I'm so happy that bullfighting was officially banned in Catalonia, Spain. Tradition doesn't always = good. Will not take effect until 2012. Better late than never. Let's hope the rest of the world follows soon.)
What I do throughout the year. I give food donations to my local shelter, every 2 -3 months. Although I must admit this month I'm late in dropping off my donation's. Whatever the charity I prefer to give items, rather than money. I'm a little weary of where the money goes, but that's another story for another day. I am a coupon person so I try and collect coupons. Buy when there's 2 for 1 deals. Use buy 1 get 1 free deals and get coupons for free items directly from the company. It's not as much as I would like to give but it's better than nothing. Someday I will be able to give in the capacity that I would like.
Is there anything that your going to be doing for World Animal Day? What have you done in the past?
Song of the Day: Spiderwebs - No Doubt, 1995, Tragic Kingdom, UMG Recordings Inc. Click here to see the video of Spiderwebs. (Links may not work in all countries, sorry for an inconvenience.)
Till the next time,