Homemade Veggie Burgers
2 cups- rehydrated, TVP (textured vegetable protein), follow package directions. I only used half the water to rehydrate the TVP, because the mixture was too wet after mixing & cooking with the addition the following ingredients
1- small red onion, diced
5- medium crimini mushrooms, or any mushrooms that you like, diced
3- garlic cloves, crushed
1/4 cup- grated Asiago cheese or any hard cheese that you like
1/2 cup- 2% cottage cheese. If you want a dryer burger, put the cottage cheese in a strainer or cheese cloth over a bowl, for at least an hour in the fridge, to let the excess water drain away
2- large eggs
3/4 cup- red, yellow, orange bell pepper, chopped
1 tsp- sea salt or less
1 tsp- fresh ground black pepper
1 tsp- dried thyme
1 tsp- fresh basil
1 tsp plus 2 tbsp- coconut oil
Saute all vegetables except for bell peppers in 1 tsp of coconut oil until soft. Cool mixture on stove. Mix remaining ingredients except coconut oil in a bowl. Cover & refrigerate for about an hour. The colder the mixture is the better it holds together.
Divide mixture in 8.
Heat large saute pan on medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil. When oil is heated, add 4 veggie burgers, formed into circular disks.
Cook approximately 2 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Do not flip them too many times or they may break. They are delicate until both sides are brown & crispy.
If needed use another 1 tbsp of coconut oil to cook 2nd batch of burgers.
Nutritional content for 1 burger: 163.2 calories; 6 grams fat; 100.2 mg sodium; 10.3 grams carbs; 4.3 grams sugar; 16.6 grams protein; 4.6 grams fiber.
Other vegetable options:
- Lightly steamed or frozen spinach or kale chopped & drained. Frozen or fresh peas or corn.
- Use whatever herbs you have on hand, fresh or dried.
- Flax gel. Replaces 1 large egg. To make, mix 1 tbsp ground flax seed with 3 tbsp of water. Stir until gelatinous. Or stir & leave in fridge, covered overnight.
- Asiago cheese. Can be replaced with a soy cheese substitute or leave out completely. I added it for flavour.
- Cottage cheese. Use same amount of soft tofu. You may have to adjust the seasoning as tofu is bland.
Try them out and tell me what you think.
Song of the Day: Tango Shoes, Bif Naked, Essentially Naked, 2007, HRM Records. (Links may not work in all countries.)
Till next time,