I think that I've touched on this subject before but I'm revisiting it again because that's what is coming to mind.
I feel that I'm on in an awkward place because I know where I want to go, what I need to do with this next portion of my life. As always (and many of you will attest to this) life always seems to be getting in my way, throwing obstacles or at the very least trying to make things as complicated as possible. Yes, that's the way I'm choosing to look at it today.
I have always thought and have experienced in the past, that the busier I am the more productive I am or would like to think so. Not so, this time around. I'm just feeling more overwhelmed, more stressed and if I not careful, see a burnout in the near future. But I can't stop because when your trying to build a career and keep it going there is no time to stop and take a break. So I need a plan.
- Keep on schedule. Start at the same time. Have lunch at the same time. Have dinner at the same time. Finish for the day at the same time (or try to).
- Get adequate sleep. Which for me is very difficult on any given day, or should I say night. Being overly tired just means I take longer to get work done, if any work at all.
- Lists are beneficial for some. Productive for me. I write them and stick to them. It doesn't always mean that I get through the entire list. I feel a sense of accomplishment when I tick off the list. To see a completed list at the end of the day feels pretty great and is a relief.
- Saying no when you truly do not have the time or the capability. When the person asking can do it for themselves or can wait for a more convenient time for you to assist them.
- Asking for help. More people than we think are willing to help with reasonable requests. But remember not to take advantage or that goodwill will dry up pretty fast.
- Take time for yourself. Whether it's going for a walk or for a run. Meditating, always a good one for me, although not done frequently as of late. Talking to a friend on the phone is always nice. Even if your not doing much talking and just listening. I find listening to someone else's day is a great brain break for me. I get out of my head.
- Be flexible. Take yesterday for example. I accompanied my mom to an out of town medical appointment. Being honest, I was annoyed at the upset to my schedule. But I sucked it up because I felt that I needed to be there. I brought some of my work with me and did what I could. I had to make do with the situation that I was in.
What do you do to help yourself remain calm, when life gets overwhelming and busier than usual?
Song of the Day: Saving My Face - KT Tunstall, Drastic Fantastic, 2007, The copyright in this sound recording is owned by Jaydone Ltd trading as Relentless Records under exclusive licence to Virgin Records Ltd. Click here to watch the video of Saving My Face. (Links may not work in all countries.)
Till next time,